Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Island Hopping Day 5: Purple Earple #2


I cannot stop grinning from the day I just had. It may go down as the BEST day I have had in my Thailand experience thus far - that's a pretty big statement considering I've had some amazing times these past 10 months.

After having a restful night, I woke up bright and early and ready to start my day. I had arranged for a motorbike to be delivered to my hostel by 8am so I could start my tour of Koh Lanta.

There she stood - bright purple and ready to take me for a ride. I named her Purple Earple #2 (#1 was a rental car an ex had to drive around after someone t-boned him dropping me off). Anyway - she was a beauty and all mine for 24 hours.

I'm not going to lie, the beginning of our relationship was a bit shaky. I haven't driven a car in over 10 months, let alone a motorbike EVER, so I (and her) were in for a treat. The lady at the hostel looked a bit concerned when I shared with her the fact I have never driven a motorbike before, but after a quick introduction she handed me the keys and I was off...until it stalled.

I said a little prayer (no need to get injured 5 days before coming home, let alone a hospital visit as I am on an expired visa) and I eventually made it to the main road. Once there it was a piece of cake, except for the fact I had to remind myself to drive on the opposite side of the road then I am used to.

With no map to go by, it was just me and Purple Earple off to explore every inch of Koh Lanta. I think we may have achieved that - I literally saw everything and it was amazing!

With Bob Marley and Slightly Stoopid blasting in my ears, the sun beating on my face and the wind blowing my hair, I was in my happy place. Life seriously couldn't get any better. I went from one end of the island to the other then back, oh and around the whole thing later that day.

When I was hot I parked my bike and jumped in the sea. When I needed a break from the sun I climbed into a nearby cave (there are some amazing caves out here). When I was hungry I stopped at local street-side stands where they were impressed with my Thai. When I wanted to take a break I found a secluded beach and plopped down with my book.

At one point tears were brought to my eyes from the beauty of this place and from pure happiness. I hadn't a care in the world and I loved every minute of it. Oh boy, here come the tears again - I'm sure going to miss this place I have come to love and call home!

PS Rethinking the whole car thing when I get home - gonna save up for a dirt bike or quad instead - WAY more fun and Seattle has a good metro system I can work with :)

1 comment:

  1. YES!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! I am soooo glad that you got to cross that one off of your thirty in thirty list.... I LOVED riding around the islands on bikes too. It really is freeing! Can't wait to see you!!! oxooxxox

    ReplyDelete