Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Island Hopping Day 8

Apparently living in Thailand and not working out for 10 months causes one to become out of shape.
This morning I decided to be ambitious and get a head start on the day. The weather looked as if it was going to hold up (atleast I thought it did) so off I went to tour the island. My first stop was the Tsunami Memorial.

The 2004 tsunami hit Phi Phi hard and the aftermath was devastating. It practically wiped out the entire island and took many lives of locals and tourists alike. A major rebuilding program in recent years has left the island looking remarkably better – if you were unaware that such a catastrophe had taken place, you might think Phi Phi is just another beautiful island under a lot of development, rather than one that was destroyed and is being rebuilt.
After walking up and down beach where the memorial park was suppose to be, a local finally told me they have taken down the sight and are in the works of building a much bigger/better memorial. Since there was sadly nothing to see, I went to my next destination: the view point. This is where I discovered how out of shape I am.
I felt like I was climbing the Great Wall in China – there were seriously an absurd amount of stairs to climb before reaching the uphill trail that would eventually lead me to view point #1. Sweaty doesn’t even begin to describe the condensation streaming down my body. I finally made it to the first view point where a cute little Thai man was selling water - I had never been so thankful in my entire life! After taking a few pictures I decided to make my way to the next view point despite the dark grey clouds rolling in. I should have just stopped there. Picture me hiking up a mountain in flip flops on an unpaved trail in a torrential downpour – it was quite the sight. Somehow I managed to stay on two feet and not slide down the slippery path along the way. The rain stopped by the time I made it to view point #2, however the wind did not. Soaking wet and freezing (well what I consider freezing now) I stayed only long enough to take in the amazing view and snap a few pictures. It was well worth the hike, but boy am I out of shape. Two more days until I hit the gym back home – thank goodness for that!

By the time I reached my hotel it was as if the rain storm never hit – clear blue sunny skies. Off I went to the beach where I intended to gain as much sun as possible before going home. No one is going to believe l lived in Thailand for a year when they see how pale I am! I can’t say I got a good tan, but I can say I managed to fry myself. We’re talking Kentucky fry chicken fry myself. My poor massage lady I went to (yes I treated myself to another massage) did an all over aloe vera rub on me and kept saying “oh, so red, like barbeque”. Her and I both were rather entertained by it all.
A great hike and a good burn – just how I imagined spending my last full day on the beach. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment