Monday, July 12, 2010

Island Hopping Day 3: The four "S's"

Sunburn – The sun finally decided to come out, so I packed my beach bag and grabbed a longtail boat to Phra Nang located on Railay beach. Can I just say I LOVE Thailand! It only took me ten minutes to get to this breathtaking beach from where I was staying in Ao Nang and within those ten short minutes I was in awe of what I saw around me. Crystal clear water and sky scrapping cliffs, absolutely amazing! There are over 600 established routes among these amazing karsts (limestone formations created from a collision between mainland Asia and India about 30 million years ago) thus making Railay beach every climber’s dream come true! There was no climbing done by this girl, but maybe tomorrow!

Storm – HOLY RAIN! I know I say this every time it rains here, but seriously I have NEVER seen anything like it in my entire life. After spending hours on the beach getting burnt (oops), I opened my eyes and realized I must have fallen asleep – within that time, the weather took a dramatic turn. The sky was now dark and looked as if the heavens were about to open. I quickly packed up my bag and prayed I made it to shelter before the storm hit…no such luck. My luggage was atleast a 15 minute walk from where I was and the heavens decided to flood the beaches and streets well before that. Drenching rain like I have never seen soaked me to the bone thankfully I was in my bathing suit so “mai pen rai” (no worries).

Street food – after a much needed relaxing day on the beach I was spent…and hungry! I only have a few days left in Thailand, so I am going to make the most of the cheap street food and eat everything I can get my hands on. Tonight I had the BEST barbeque chicken I have ever ate (yes, it even beat the death by chicken at the Casa del Rio) and Som Tom (a yummy papaya salad). For less than $3 I was left stuffed, but not enough to pass up my last “S” for the day…

Snickers Gelato – can you say yum? Icecream is my weakness, especially when it tastes as good as this stuff was. Oh my goodness. Snickers gelato just might be my new favorite thing – did I mention it is 94% fat free which obviously means I can have atleast 2 scoops AND splurge for a waffle cone right? According to my dad I’m already "fat and red” so why not add to my "fatness" and live it up my last week here!
**Off to my next destination tomorrow morning: Koh Lanta**

No comments:

Post a Comment