Sunday, April 18, 2010

I love Pai (and Pie too)


3.5 hours outside of Chiang Mai and 762 switchbacks up a mountainous road, I finally made it to a tiny tranquil town located in Northern Thailand called Pai.

I have heard various things about Pai, but one thing I heard over and over again was how laid back it is. Pai, in my opinion, is a little slice of heaven. I loved everything about it - the chill atmosphere, peaceful scenery, amazingly cheap food, art galleries, and chic coffee shops.

I thought of Pai as the Thai version of Bellingham (which we all know is one of my favorite cities). There were hippies, backpackers, dreadlocks, Bob Marley and Jack Johnson bars EVERYWHERE (everywhere as in the 4 streets that exist there).

Pai was the perfect place to go to escape the chaos of Bangkok (especially during the riots). For three days I grabbed a freshly squeezed fruit shake or cold beer, a good book and comfy hammock and found myself in pure bliss. It was just what I needed!


1 comment: