Sunday, April 25, 2010

Baan Thai - Thai Cookery School

To escape the madness of the water fight in Chiang Mai for a day, I decided to take a Thai cooking class.

After living here for over 7 months I have grown to love many Thai dishes - even more so then I did before if that's even possible.

For those of you who know me, you know I absolutely LOVE cooking and desperately miss it! I am so excited to go home to cook and bake! It's simply too hot here to cook and honestly, it's cheaper to eat out then eat in, so why bother right? Doesn't help the fact that I have no cooking utensils or an oven either. Details.

Once I somehow managed to dodge the buckets of water being thrown at me, I finally arrived at Baan Thai - Thai Cookery School. Myself and the 8 others taking the course headed off to the local market to buy fresh produce to use for the day. Here we got a lesson on what type of rice, noodles, greens, etc are best to use for the dishes we were individually preparing. What I liked about this company was they let each student pick their own 6 dishes to make whereas other companies had set menus or you had to decide as a group. I chose the following: Green Curry Paste, Green Curry with Chicken, Pad Thai, Tom Kha Gai, Spring Rolls and Mango with sticky rice. Not going to lie, they all turned out delish! I cannot wait to come home and share these with you!!

Here are pictures of my finished products:





6 comments:

  1. YUM YUM YUM!!!! Maybe we can set up a "Farang Thai Restaurant" when you come home...heehee...Loving it! And your sista told me that you are ready to come home, but I want to tell you to continue to soak it all up because once you are back you will miss it big time! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the idea Katie!
    We should totally do it :)
    I am ready and not ready to come home - don't you worry though, until then I am continuing to live it up.
    I already know I will miss it big time.
    I'm just ready for a cool down - 103 today!
    Planning my next trip now...Laos, Bali or Krabi - the options are endless :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE mango and sticky rice...you have to share your recipe when you get back to the states! Or just bring me a supply every week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...so Trader Joes has a green curry simmer sauce and it is yummy! and they also have a mango/sticky rice dessert that Katie says is pretty close to the real thing!
    so...when you get home...we will have a Trader Joes Thai dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister - we will not need a Trader Joes Thai dinner b/c I will cook you an authentic one silly!

    Bshay - don't you worry, I'll invite you and Kshay too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm...hello! Jason and I cannot wait for you to move in this summer! :) Delish!

    ReplyDelete