Probably the best thing I have done thus far in my trip. Okay, maybe not the best, but definitely in the top 5!
Since moving to Thailand I swear I have packed on a small child in the stomach region (no this is not me announcing I'm pregnant, although I feel I look that way), it's just that all I do here is eat. I eat breakfast and shortly after I wonder what will be served for snack and lunch at school, then when biking home from school I wonder what I should buy off the street vendors for dinner: fried chicken and sticky rice, pad thai, pad see ew, etc etc. Here I thought I'd lose weight by moving overseas - WRONG! Unfortunately all of the rice, noodles and fried foods have had the opposite effect on me.
It was only after eating an insane amount of Halloween candy my sister sent me (bless her heart: I love and curse you by the way) I decided I needed to do something about my eating obsession. I was not about to cut out all the yummy food Thailand has to offer (it's just too dang good to do that) instead I decided to join a gym.
A few other co-workers and I now belong to a "youth facility" just blocks from our school. It's newly built and has a swimming pool, small workout room and various courts to play badminton/tennis on. All of this for 40 baht a year! Yes, you read that correctly, 40 baht a YEAR - that's less than $2 US dollars!! Are you kidding me? Back home I was spending (or should I say wasting) over $30 a month on a gym membership I NEVER used.
The only downfall to the place is that it's run by the Thai government therefore there are very strict rules: you cannot wear tank tops or shorts to workout in - not even capri pants. Your shoulders and ankles must be covered at all times - uh, did they forget that its nearly 90 degrees everyday w/ 100% humidity? Seriously, I have never sweat so much in my life after just 10 minutes on the elliptical even in an air conditioned room!
For those of you that know me, working out has never really been my thing. I try to pretend that I like it, but quite honestly I hate every second of it. I find the lamest excuses, however here I don't really have any: I don't have anyone to go home to, a tv to plop in front of or a dinner date to attend, so why not take an hour out of my rather boring evening to do something productive!
Since I absolutely hate treadmills (they hurt my knees) and I have some weird tingly sensation going on in my feet when I'm on the elliptical, I have decided to try out something new: WATER AEROBICS!
Today was my first class and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Being one of the only "farangs" belonging to the facility, people already stare - little did I know what was in store for me this afternoon. I swear all eyes were on my friend Anna and I - the maids, security guards and front desk attendants came to watch us. Apparently, we were their entertainment for the day and it was hilarious. Honestly I don't know what hurts more - my stomach from laughing for an hour straight or my legs from the insane number of kicks we had to do! All I know is my teacher was ripped and if he looks that way from doing water aerobics, sign me up! There was a real sense of community within the ladies in the class and I cannot wait to go back, even if it means wearing a swim cap and full body suit ;)
PS If anyone has any workout tips I would love to hear them! I got so used to going to classes back home that I am lost as to where to start. There are bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, free weights and a few machines to use - let me know what I should be doing so I don't look pregnant anymore!
You are so funny! Keep up the water aerobics they are so good for you! So, in my dream last night I was with you in your place in Thialand. I was putting makeup on you for some event and then your roommate came in and told us that she nearly had your place rented out. You looked at me with this guilty look and then admitted that you were coming home. I proceeded to talk you out of it and then we headed off to the "event" which I don't even know what it was. End of dream. I'm weird.
ReplyDeletetoo funny sarah.
ReplyDeleteso...what kind of swim suit do you have to wear to water aerobics? We need pictures of this swim cap!
I can't believe everyone came to watch you! That is so funny!
I love water aerobics!
Love this post of yours! If I was in Bangkok I'd be right there with you. I can't do aerobics classes without laughing hysterically and having the best time. I hope it continues to be fun and that you feel fit and ready to take on delicious chicken and sticky rice! One thing Cambodia has done for me, once again is caused me to eat less-oh the joy of stomach bugs.
ReplyDelete