What is the countdown for you wonder...number of school days left until summer break, duh! Yes I am already counting down the days until summer vacation - isn't that what all teachers do? ;)
Today was my first day of "teaching", although I did anything but teach. Basically my day consisted of sitting around watching what other teachers did. I am still unclear of where I am going to end up, but for now they have me floating between the nursery and Kindergarten classes. From what I gathered today, this is what I will be doing until the end of the term December 16th - this however may very well change and wouldn't surprise me one bit if it does - nothing seems to surprise me anymore (except the gecko in my bed of course).
Even after just 9 hours of observing I am already noticing differences in the curriculum/school structure then what I grew up with. First of all, the age difference - kids start full day school at the age of TWO here! I couldn't believe it - they seem so tiny and young (probably b/c they are and most are still in diapers and cannot even speak Thai let alone English). The age/class structure is fascinating to me. The kids start in nursery at the age of 2, get moved to what they call kindergarten at 3/4, and then advance to "reception" at 5. From there they follow the 1st, 2nd, 3rd grade structure as we do in the States. Another huge thing I'm going to have to get used to is the British curriculum. I am the ONLY American teaching at the school and seriously need a key for what the other teachers are talking about. I find myself laughing at what they're saying to me b/c I don't understand it. I am going to have to train myself to start saying "zed" instead of "z", "toilet" instead of "bathroom", "bin" instead of "garbage" and spell things differently like "organise" as opposed to organize and "colour" instead of color! I know my dad was born in Britain, but I am not used to this and it is going to take some time to train myself!
All in all my first day was great - a little boring, but that's to be expected. These next few weeks are really to get to know the school and see how it runs.
By the way, I cannot tell you how stinking cute the kids are! Thai kids are absoultely beautiful - don't be suprised if I come home with a suitcase full of 'em :)
Anyway, I am very excited to be part of an International School and cannot wait to see where it takes me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sarah! How exciting! I wish I could come observe you teaching! What an amazing experience you are having. I have to say I am a little bit jealous of you right now. :) Please post some photos of those cute kiddos!
ReplyDeleteLook at you, you little teacher you!! Congrats on the job Gums! I'm glad you are happy there so far. Miss you!
ReplyDeleteSarah--I've been trying to comment on this blog the last few weeks but had to create a google account...blah...blah..blah. Anyways, so glad to hear about your job in Bangkok. You are going to learn so much this year and I KNOW you will be fabulous with the little guys :)
ReplyDeleteYour students' names are unreal! I read the title to your blog and couldn't figure out what was going on until I read your post. I don't know if I could have read them with a straight face!
ReplyDelete