Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sickness Strikes Again

Its true.
I am sick again.
Boo.

For those of you who read my blog entry about my first go around with the flu, I will spare you from having to hear the symptoms a second time (no one needs to hear about those horrific issues EVER again). Sadly let's just say I was dealing with the same issues I experienced 2 weeks ago - minus the whole crapping of the bed part, thank God!

Anyway, after a very fun New Years celebration I was left in bed for 3 days straight. Then, just when I thought I was getting better, wham, the sickness continued on.

Being stubborn for long enough, I finally decided to go to the hospital (don't freak out, everyone goes to hospitals here: a kid goes home from school w/ a runny nose and their parents say "don't worry, we'll take them to the hospital - a little extreme if you ask me, but it's what they do here, very odd).

This was my second run-in with a Thai hospital. My first was for a physical for my work visa. All the other teachers at my school went together, didn't have pay, nor did they have to pee in a cup or get x-rays. Me on the other hand, well, I had to do it all. I was poked, prodded, x-rayed and more. And on top of it all, I had to pay for it, lucky me.

I wish I could say my second hospital experience went better, but it didn't. After protesting for 4 days, I finally gave in and went. I got on my work out clothes and headed on bike to the mooban's hospital - don't worry, by the time I got there I was covered in sweat and looking mighty fine - now the Thais are really going to stare at me. Since this was my second visit I figured the hospital had all my paperwork on file, so all I brought with me was my issued hospital card from last time and my insurance card from school - that should be enough right? Wrong. Apparently I needed my passport as well. Back on the bike I go.

By the time I reached home I was beyond sweaty and exhausted and refused to go back. This lasted only a few hours. Thanks to Kes' persistence and a newly discovered issue, I headed back on bike to the hospital once again, passport in hand of course.

There I sat waiting for Miss Salah Ealp (Thais pronounce "r's" like "l's") to be called. Finally I was called in and the first thing to doctor asked me was "Do you speak Thai"? Uh-oh, we're in trouble now I thought. Do I look like someone who speaks Thai? Unfortunately not. I wish I did, but all I can say to you doc is hi, bye, turn left, turn right, here, ask how much and count from 1 to 100 - none of which will help explain how I'm feeling. Well, here goes nothing I think to myself.

I explain to the cute, old, fragile man that I have had the same flu like symptoms twice in the span of 3 weeks and that this time around I am getting much worse stomach cramping and bowel issues. Awkward I know. Out of nowhere, he asks me to lift my shirt and tells me "your liver is fine" - great, I never thought it wasn't. Then he tells me "and your intestines and stomach seem inflamed" - well duh, that's why I am here isn't it? He also told me I still have a fever - something I thought I had kicked, but I guess not. That was the extent to what he told me was wrong then handed me a list of prescriptions I was to take to the pharmacy.

I didn't get answers, but I now have in hand a number of drugs that I have no idea what they are for or what they do. All I know is I hope they work!

I started this vacation with the flu and I am now ending it with the flu. School starts tomorrow and I would REALLY like to feel like myself again.
I am giving the meds 3-5 days and if after that I still do not feel 100% looks like I'll be heading downtown to find a better doctor.

Here's to better health in 2010!

5 comments:

  1. sister, i am a little bit nervous that you are taking drugs that you do not know what they are for.
    what are they called? maybe cleve can help???
    call me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calm down sister.
    They are fine and so am I.
    I looked them up - one is for my stomach cramping/pain.
    Another is an antibiotic.
    One for my fever.
    The other is electrolytes.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poor thing - there's nothing quite like the far east for high quality gastro-intestinal problems. Glad to hear that you are staying hydrated - get yourself plenty of clean, safe water in. Do you need me to post you anything? Meds would be tricky but I can post you as much Dioralyte as you can drink............

    Take it easy and get well soon.

    Nic and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah and Nic.
    I am happy to say the meds I got from the doc have helped.
    I am feeling much better - thank goodness.
    It was a nasty bug (both times) and I hope to never get it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Salah! You are a hilarious blog writer. I hope you are feeling better now man! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete