Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I've Officially Hit Rock Bottom

You know you've reached an all time low when you have nowhere to sleep b/c the sheets that are suppose to be on your bed are hanging outside to dry b/c you got sick on them at 4:30am.

Yes it is true, I crapped the bed. I wish I was kidding, but I am not. Honestly, I have never been so sick in my entire life. Why I am telling you this? I don't know. Maybe to make light of the situation or maybe because I am not right in my head right now and I will be embarrassed later when I reread this. All I know is, I was mortified and did not know what to do - so I called my sister bawling, naturally.

The past 48 hours I have been in bed (which now has clean sheets) with the worse fever, chills, aches and pains I have ever experienced in my 26 years of existence. And let me tell you, a high fever + 95 degree weather = one sweaty Sarah.

It all started Tuesday morning around 1:30am. I woke up sweating to death, but thought it was simply b/c I got a little too much sun on my weekend excursion. I cranked the fan and proceeded to go back to sleep. This lasted only momentarily as I was awoken by the urge to puke - what joy. Thankfully the puking never came, but other issues did. It was after many trips to the bathroom and the cleaning of my sheets that I realized I had reached rock bottom. I was using a towel as my bottom sheet, a dress Kes bought me in Mexico as a blanket, and had a bucket close by to use for either puking or the unmentionable if needed. I don't think it gets much worse than that! Thankfully I never needed to use the bucket.

I was becoming insanely dehydrated and knew I needed liquids; however, all I had in my fridge was peanut butter, an apple and some chocolates a student gave me for Christmas (which by the way are disgusting, Thais need a lesson on what good chocolate tastes like - that's beside the point though). Anyway, how does one go about getting liquid when they can't even make it 5 minutes without getting sick? Do I call a taxi? Do I try to pay the security guy downstairs to go get me something? Do I risk taking my bike on the 10 min RT ride? I decided to try the latter.

Off I set on my pedal bike to the nearest 7-11. I was in and out in a matter of seconds and ready to ride home as fast a possible. While unlocking my bike, a lovely Thai lady gave me a HUGE and I mean HUGE smile. Now I know I am in the "Land of Smiles", but this was one of those "oh goodie a foreigner, I can practice my English with them smile"...just what I needed right?

She asks: "Khun cheu a rai ka?". Great, she is speaking to me in Thai...I know what this means, but can't find the words in my brain to answer her, so I politely say "no speak Thai".
The dear little lady nods and smiles and I think to myself, "great, now I can get home".
Not so fast...she then starts speaking to me in English:
"What's your name", "Where are you from?", "Oh America, what state?"
She goes on and on and all I can think to myself is, "lady, I have less than 2 minutes before I get sick again so PLEASE, PLEASE let me go"!

After what feels like forever, I think she sensed my distance. I told her "I'm sorry, but I am sick and must get home".

To my surprise I made it home without any accidents and was now set - I had enough crackers and Gatorade to last me a few days.

After 48 straight hours in bed, I am happy to say some, but not all of the sickness is slowly going away. I still have the fever and aches with the random stomach pains, but I'll take those over the other issues I was dealing with.

I've decided being sick in a foreign country is anything but fun. Its the little things like drinkable tap water and another set of sheets you take for granted. Thankfully I have two awesome friends in my condo who are taking good care of me. I am greeted by a knock on my door every few hours to see how I am doing and drop little get well soon care packages. It's no homemade chicken noodle soup, but who's picky? I'm just happy I have people here who care enough about me to bring me electrolyte powders and crackers!

This is definitely not how I wanted to start my vacation, but I know it can only go up from here. Please send healing thoughts this way as I leave for Koh Tao in 3 days and MUST be 100% if I want to get my diving certification!

Here is a picture of my sad, sick little life: note the lack of sheets, the dress turned blanket, crackers, bucket and all the essentials to entertain me while on my death bed: computer, headphones and a book.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my poor little sister! I am so sorry you are sick and so far away. It was so sad when you called. I felt helpless! Kyle is sick too. :(
    Hang in there. I am glad you are getting better and glad you have friends there to look after you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keenan says "hi and you should write a autobiography" Dawson says "I hope you are going to feel better"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just a horrible thing you had to go through. I feel for you. Can we send you an extra set of sheets?! Seriously! Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your concern everyone. Not going to lie, this was one of the most miserable things I've ever dealt with.

    Lisa - tell the boys thanks - I will work on the autobiography if teaching fails me.

    JoAnna - you are too sweet - thankfully I am feeling much better and think I am okay on sheets now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad sad sad. Glad to hear you're feeling better and SO glad to have heard your voice on the phone today! I'm so excited for my big trip to see you and perhaps I'll spend my entire weekend making that paper chain that we talked about. :) Hugs, Nay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah-I am so sorry you were so sick! Definitely a low moment. I was sick two nights ago as well. The bucket would have come in handy for me. Thankfully I made it to the bathroom 6 or 7 times throughout the night to puke. What fun. Cheers to the Southeast Asian Stomach Flu! I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your vacation and am thankful for you that you have people there to look after you.
    Sending you healthy, happy, holiday cheer thoughts!

    ReplyDelete