After a long day of class, my friend Ben and I decided we'd go for a traditional massage...sounds relaxing right? WRONG! It was anything but relaxing. Not sure how to explain it, but I'll try.
From the get go we knew we were in for it. We tried explaining to the Khmer ladies we wanted the 60 minute traditional massage (whatever that meant) and preferred to be in the same room. Not sure if they didn't understand what we were asking or if it was not customary to have a guy and girl in the same room, but after lots gesturing and trying to explain ourselves, we were finally led to this super sketch room with two nasty looking mats on the floor. They asked us to change into these pajama like pants and oversized t-shirts. Ben went to another room to change and came back where I was awkwardly sitting on my massage "table" waiting for directions. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to take off my bra or not, but Ben told me probably since they'll be massaging my back. I did so and there we sat waiting for this amazing experience to begin.
The ladies came in and told us to lay down. We did so and immediately had the case of the giggles. Seriously, we couldn't stop laughing. These poor ladies probably thought we were nuts! Let me tell you, they don't mess around. They started with one leg and moved up and down the entire body. At one point my lady placed her hands over my hips/pelvic bone area and was face to face with me applying a crazy amount of pressure - I knew what was coming next for Ben and burst out laughing.
We were both finally able to stop laughing, but knew if we opened our eyes and looked at one another we'd lose it again.
We had our feet, legs, hands, back, butt, arms, head and neck massaged. It would have been relaxing, but it was so intense we couldn't really enjoy it. They massaged with their hands, elbows, knees and feet, it was crazy. When massaging my head/neck/face area all I kept thinking was what in the world am I going to look like after this - my hair gel to make my hair curly must have been rubbed out by now and they kept going over my eyebrows which we all know aren't fully there and I felt for sure they would have been rubbed completely off. Oh geez, what an experience.
Our 60 minute massage turned out to only be a 30 minute - maybe this was a blessing in disguise. We got redressed and headed downstairs to pay. Since it was 1/2 the time, we only paid 4 dollars (so cheap!). All I had was a $10 bill which they refused to take b/c it had the slightest tear in it (this is something we are always running into - they believe the money is damaged and not worth anything when there is any visible rip or tear in it). I quickly ran back to my hostel in the pouring down rain to grab four crisp, clean bills.
The massage was yet again another interesting experience to add to the trip. Lets just say I hope they're better in Thailand!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don't WORRY!!!! They TOTALLY are better!!!! You just have to tell them to be gentle at first! I think Thai massage is the BEST thing in the WHOLE WORLD!!! Next time try a foot massage, those are my favs! I have some great places you should go to when you get to BKK. Hopefully I'll talk with you tonight!!!! xoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteGood to know Katie!
ReplyDeleteI think you gave me a bunch of business cards to look through so I will do that when I get settled.
So good to talk to you and everyone at the hospital today.
I'm still crying!
Can you be the stand in auntie for me please?
Thanks!
sister, what an experience! I am so jealous you are paying 4 dollars for a massage! call me when you get to thailand
ReplyDelete$4.00 let me be you! I am loving the fabulous job you are doing blogging! Thank you for sharing this incredible experience with us!
ReplyDelete