Sunday, September 27, 2009

Safe and Sound

After 20 hours in the air I finally made it to Cambodia! The past few days have been a complete whirlwind! Everything went well, minus few minor hiccups along the way: the agent in Seatac couldn't find my reservation, when she did, she told me my plane was leaving in NINE minutes - thankfully she was wrong and I had just over 1.5 to sit by myself (phoneless) feeling like a complete freak as tears poured down my face at the airport - people probably thought I was nuts, isn't going on vacation suppose to be fun? Not when you just said goodbye to everyone you're closest to knowing you wont see them for a long, long time.
My first layover was in LA where I met 2 others in my program, it was comforting to know there were two people on my international flight that I "knew""! After our 13.5 hour flight to Taipei, we were exhausted and got a little lost in the airport, but atleast we had eachother!
The last leg of the flight (Taipei to Phnom Penh) went really well and met up with many others in our program. Everyone seems really nice!
Language Corps seemed really organized when I was on the other side of the world, but that has completely changed. The 7 of us waited at the airport for pick up not knowing what the heck we just got ourselves into. We were greated by a lady we couldn't understand and were escourted into 2 small tuk tuks. With our bags piled high and on our laps were rode in these tiny motorcycle like things weaving through traffic like we owned the road - thats one thing I will NOT be doing here is driving - I swear there are no rules of the road other than honk and pray you don''t get hit - it's insane! We couldn't help but laugh - whether from exhaustion or realizing we look like complete fools it was rather entertaining!
Turns out the house we were suppose to stay in was too full (this is the biggest group of students they have ever done at one time) so there are about 16-20 of us bunked out at a hostel...not something I thought I'd do just yet in my trip. Let me tell you...I was not prepared for this - my room mimics a tiny jail cell - no windows or anything, thankfully I have ac and a bathroom/shower to myself. The shower is literally is a spout that shoots off the wall - you close the door and basically have to sit/stand on the toilet to wash your hair. What in the world have I gotten myself into I ask numerous times yesterday.
I keep telling myself its all part of the adventure.
Upon arriving to my new pad for the next 2 weeks, I knew I couldn't take a nap - if I did I would not be able to get up, so instead myself and 7 others threw ourselves right into it.
First things first we went to the market to get t.p. don't want to be missing that when the curse of introducing new food hits you at 2:30am. Next we visited a museum and the Choeung Ek Genocidal Center (aka the killing fields). Sadly, I didn't know much about what happened here and was not mentally prepared for what I was about to see. Both places reflect the most barbarious and cruel crimes committed by the Untra Communist Khmer Rouge Regime from 1975-1979. It broke my heart to see over 8,000 human skills of all sizes (babies to elderly), cracked and with holes in them from the unspeakable crimes that were committed to over 2 million innocent civilians. Its crazy to think this happened only a few decades ago.
After seeing all the bones and clothes still immersing from ground after a rainy day all I wanted to do was cry - it was sickening.
A few hours spent completely depressed, we were all ready to go "home".
I dont know what my expectations were of Phnom Penh, thruthfully I didn't really have any, but the poverty here was not what I expected. Driving through town reminds me so much of my Africa trip. Lets just say I am glad I am only here for two weeks.
On a plus side, things are insanely cheap - I am at an Internet cafe that only cost .25-.75 cents an hour and last night I had the most amazing chicken curry in coconut sauce for $2.50.
Well, my time is up and I am sweating to death so I better get going. Off to breakfast, I think I might have banana pancakes :)
I miss you all SO much already!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to post an update. Sounds like you've had quite the adventure so far and I can't wait to hear more. Hang in there and know that there are lots of people back home praying for you. I love you!
    Nay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are safe and sound in Cambodia Gums!! Good luck with classes tomorrow! So fun to read about your adventure. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to say. Wow. It is not how I pictured it being. Hang in there, sis. You are very brave. There is NO WAY I could do what you are doing! I am proud of you! Please call when you can....but I might cry when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo very proud of you! Thank you so much for the update ~ all things you will laugh about at a later date, I'm sure! Love you and think about you all the time! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyday is an adventure...it will not always be easy but what an experience. Stay positive and remember to look for the good and the things that bring you pleasure. Thank you for keeping us all updated, I am looking forward to experiencing this adventure through your posts. My love and hugs are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHHH yes....sounds vaguely familiar...just remember NOTHING goes as planned, and I do feel like you are already getting out there and going, I'm very proud of you...nothing like going to the Killing Fields the first day in a foreign land...it took me two years to fly to Cambodia. Also, just FYI, there is an AMAZING book called First They Killed My Father. It's deep and deeply moving, but explains a lot of what when on in the Pol Pot Regime. Hang in there my friend, you are amazing!

    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are putting in a years worth of adventure already. Looked at weather forecast for your area and it looks like you should dig out your rubber boots. Just think how much easier (hopefully) each day that you are there will get. Enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete