Tuesday, March 23, 2010

KG Excursion to Safari World

This year in Kindergarten we have been learning about various types of animals around the world. What better place to go then the zoo to go along with this unit.



Today Ms. Andy and I loaded up a V.I.P. bus with 23 three and four year old students and headed out to Safari World located just outside of Bangkok. Both the kids and myself have never been on an "excursion" before and I couldn't tell you who was more excited, them or me. We all ended up having a total blast!



After singing countless rounds of "The Wheels on the Bus" we finally reached our destination. Our first hour consisted of driving around in our fancy bus through the open safari park. Here I felt like I was back in Kenya in the Masai Mara National Park. We saw zebras, rhinos, lions, giraffes, wildebeasts, gazelles and more.



We then unloaded everyone, got into buddy systems and set off to see some shows. We first went to an orangutan show where the animals put on skits and even a boxing match. The kids LOVED this! I must admit it was pretty entertaining.



After watching the orangutans duke it out we went over to the sea lions and watched them perform numerous tricks. I am amazed at how smart both these animals are. I think I've decided I need to work somewhere like Sea World when I return home ;)



By now the kids (and adults) are hot, sweaty, hungry and thirsty. We set off for lunch and let me tell you, 23 students in a buffet line = complete chaos! What ever happened to simple paper bag lunches? I mean seriously?!?!? In the end we survived, but barely.

Once we were cooled off (did I mention it was 97 degrees today?) and re-hydrated, it was time to feed the giraffes. Some kids loved this, others hated it. Myself...well, I thought it was cool until a giraffe decided to rub its nasty slimy face and tongue across my entire neck - I screamed.



After 5+ hours on our feet in insanely hot temperatures running around like madmen, we were all exhausted beyond belief - below is a picture of how some cooped with their exhaustion. I on the other hand am sitting on my couch, have the a/c cranked, music on and a cold local brew sitting beside me.


I'd say my first field trip as a teacher was a success: no kids were hurt, lost or stolen...plus they had a great time!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Sarah, how cool (well in your case hot, but you know what I meant)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures! I want to see more, the animals almost look fake cause there are so many grouped together! Your kids are soooo cute!

    By the way, to add to your post about your hair. I vote for long! Try something different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, your students are SO darling! What a FUN day!

    ReplyDelete